Friday 15 April 2011

visit to amritsar and wagah border- Part 2

Finally, the ceremonies were over with the lowering of the tricolour at sunset. We walked back to our car through a road strewn with plastic covers and bottles. The wheat fields in the surrounding were blotted by this awkward sight.
Thereafter later in the evening at around nine, my wife Priya, daughter Aditi and me decided to visit the Golden Temple. A lot of work is happening around the temple, probably more facilities for the pilgrims. You are very comfortable, because you have signs all around to guide you. After leaving our footwear behind, walked towards the temple, after our feet being washed compulsorily enroute. The feeling was nice.
The first look of the temple amidst the holy pond was awesome. I have seen it in photos earlier. The real experience is for everyone to witness and feel it for themselves. We slowly walked around cherishing every moment of the peace and sanctity, which we all could feel in the temple. I also found so many plaques indicating the kind of donations made by various people, especially by the Army units.
We had entered through the southern entrance and as we reached the northern entrance, I saw a board of the Langar. We instantly walked  towards the Langar, since we were ready for dinner and hungry. I would definitely write about the Langar at length, since I was truly mesmerised and awestruck at the service. A 24 x 7 Langar or a community kitchen, which I have never heard of. Volunteers manning the place right from the entrance giving away clean Stainless Steel plates, spoons and a Katori for water. You get inside the main hall and you find an ocean of people either dining or waiting to be served. So neat and so quiet, except for the clinging of th spatula with the vessel or the volunteers asking if some one wants anything more. Within seconds  of seating, the service starts, with a helping of mixed dal, roties, and sabji. Volunteers keep offering more. I was unable to eat more than two roties, because I was so satisfied and impressed by the service. Imagine a dining hall, where almost 600 to 800 people can sit down and have a meal within about fifteen minutes. All this is happening by volunteers and voluntary contributions.
As I got out I found a bout 100 people, volunteers collecting plates, spoons and washing them neatly for feeding the next round of Bhaktas.
I have been thinking of setting up a community kitchen at times, since I feel that so many hungry stomachs can be fed in a just way. India requires many such community kitchens, though some of my friends used to say that this would make people lazy. I did agree, but after seeing the Langar and experiencing it. I still feel this so many such community kitchens are required in India and I am sure that there would be many volunteers to sponsor them and also to run them. I hope so!    


1 comment:

  1. VERY NICE TRAVELOGUE.U R A GOOD WRITER.KEEP IT UP.---DEVIKA,CHENNAI

    ReplyDelete